Exelixis, Inc. to Receive BayBio Award at 10th Annual Pantheon Ceremony
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – November 11, 2013 – COMETRIQ¬Æ (cabozantinib) by Exelixis, Inc. will receive the 2013 BayBio Pantheon DiNA for Outstanding Product Award (Therapeutic) at the 10th Annual BayBio Pantheon Ceremony on December 5.
COMETRIQ was nominated for its activity in progressive, metastatic medullary thyroid cancer, a disease state for which, until recently, there had been few treatment options for patients. The product, which was approved in November 2012 and made commercially available in January 2013, inhibits the activity of tyrosine kinases including RET, MET, and VEGFR2. These receptor tyrosine kinases are involved in both normal cellular function and in pathologic processes such as oncogenesis, metastasis, tumor angiogenesis, and maintenance of the tumor microenvironment.
In addition to COMETRIQ, Sam Colella, a partner at Silicon Valley based Versant Ventures, and Dr. Stanley N. Cohen, a researcher in Stanford University’s department of genetics and medicine, and well known as an inventor on the Cohen/Boyer gene cloning patent – responsible for launching industry giants like Genentech and Amgen – will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards for their contributions to making a transformative difference within the life science industry.
Other leading executives, researchers and dedicated individuals will receive DiNA Awards for the following categories (listed alphabetically by award title):
- Biotechnology Educator Award – Tom McFadden
- Biotechnology Philanthropist Award – Scott Johnson, Myelin Repair Foundation
- Global Reach Award – Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc (BIFI)
- Outstanding Company Award – Portola Pharmaceuticals
- Outstanding Partnering Award – Ardelyx
- Outstanding Public Support Award – Rep. Jackie Speier (D – Hillsborough)
- Outstanding Product Award (Therapeutic) – COMETRIQ (cabozantinib) by Exelixis, Inc.
- Rising Star Award – Jennifer Doudna, UC Berkeley
- Scientific Achievement Award – Deepak Srivastava, Gladstone Institutes
“BayBio’s Pantheon Ceremony celebrates the advancements and unparalleled innovative excellence of the Bay Area’s life science industry,” said BayBio President and CEO Gail Maderis. “We applaud the people and companies who have dedicated their work to improving patients’ health.