Scott Johnson to Receive BayBio Award at 10th Annual Pantheon Ceremony
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – Oct. 16, 2013 – Myelin Repair Foundation President and CEO Scott Johnson will receive the 2013 BayBio Pantheon DiNA Biotechnology Philanthropist Award at the 10th Annual BayBio Pantheon Ceremony on December 5th.
Johnson began the Myelin Repair Foundation and established its Accelerated Research Collaboration‚Ñ¢ model, a collaborative research approach to speed the pace of drug discoveries. Today, the Myelin Repair Foundation have achieved significant progress through the managed collaboration of clinically relevant basic science and successfully “de-risking” research for commercial development. This award will recognize Johnson’s tireless dedication to form collaborations between key players within the entire therapeutic development continuum, to benefit millions of patients who cannot afford to wait for effective treatments or cures. Last year’s Pantheon DiNA Biotechnology Philanthropist Award recipient William Bowes is an avid supporter of the Myelin Repair Foundation and Johnson’s vision to transform the drug discovery process to meet patient need.
In addition to Johnson, Sam Colella, a partner at Silicon Valley based Versant Ventures, and Dr. Stanley N. Cohen, a researcher in Stanford University’s department of genetics and medicine, and well known as an inventor on the Cohen/Boyer gene cloning patent – responsible for launching industry giants like Genentech and Amgen – will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards for their contributions to making a transformative difference within the life science industry.
Other leading executives, researchers and dedicated individuals will receive DiNA Awards for the following categories (listed alphabetically by award title):
- Biotechnology Educator Award – Tom McFadden, KIPP Bridge Middle School in Oakland, CA
- Biotechnology Philanthropist Award – Scott Johnson, Myelin Repair Foundation
- Global Reach Award – Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc (BIFI)
- Outstanding Company Award – Portola Pharmaceuticals
- Outstanding Partnering Award – Ardelyx
- Outstanding Public Support Award – Rep. Jackie Speier (D – Hillsborough)
- Outstanding Product Award (Therapeutic) – COMETRIQ (cabozantinib) by Exelixis
- Rising Star Award – Jennifer Doudna, UC Berkeley
- Scientific Achievement Award – Deepak Srivastava, Gladstone Institutes
“BayBio’s Pantheon Ceremony celebrates the advancements and unparalleled innovative excellence of the Bay Area’s life science industry,” said BayBio President and CEO Gail Maderis. “We applaud the people and companies who have dedicated their work to improving patients’ health.