California Pavilion at BIO2013
BORN HERE, BUILT HERE, BEST HERE
California is the birthplace of biotechnology and we’ve been fostering the transformation of medical research for three decades. Our biotech brain trust includes the world’s next generation of researchers, entrepreneurs and investors who are relentless in their pursuit of therapeutic breakthroughs. Investments in STEM education, exceptional workforce development initiatives, and a business climate that’s shining… the Golden State is where biotech legacies are built. Come join us, #3523.
TUESDAY, JUNE 24
10:00am > > > FUNDING INNOVATION
During this session venture capitalists, corporate VCs and angel investors will talk about what gets funded today and why and their outlook for the future of life science industry
- Moderator: Matthew Hudes , Deloitte, US Managing Principal, Biotechnology
- Neena S. Kadaba, PhD, Director, Industry Alliances, QB3, Partner, Mission Bay Capital
- Ivor Royston, MD, Founding Managing Partner, Forward Ventures
- Richard Koffler, Chief Executive Officer, Greenwings Biomedical
- Rajeev Dadoo, PhD, Partner, SR One
- David Piacquad, Senior Vice President of Business Development, Amgen
11:00am > > > MOU SIGNING BETWEEN BAYBIO AND THE BIOTECH ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF RIO DE JANEIRO (BIORIO)
1:30pm > > > NEW TOOLS FOR A NEW ECONOMY
The Governor’s Economic Development Initiative and how California plans to invest $750 million over the next 5 years into new business incentive programs to spur development in the biotechnology and manufacturing sector.
- Kish Rajan, Director of the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
3:00pm > > > MADE IN CALIFORNIA
Whatever your goal – from a painless glucose diagnostic kit to a novel nanoscale delivery
mechanism to a complex trivalent malaria vaccine, having the work done here in California actually saves costs via efficiencies and time savings.
- Leigh Pierce, President and Chief Scientific Officer, PacificGMP
- David Enloe, Chief Executive Officer, Ajinomoto Althea
- Robert Preti, President, Progenitor Cell Therapy
- Michael Howaldt, Site Head, Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont Inc.
3:45pm > > > MOU SIGNING BETWEEN BIOCOM AND JAPANESE BUSINESS ASSOCIATION (JBA)
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25
10:00am > > > CALIFORNIA ECONOMIC IMPACT AND WORKFORCE REPORTS
The 2013 California Economic Impact and Workforce Reports illustrate the important roles biomedical research, development, and manufacturing play in California’s economy and ultimately in the nation’s health by providing a comprehensive snapshot of the life science industry in California and the industry’s demand for talent.
- Joseph Panetta, President and Chief Executive Officer, Biocom
- Gail Maderis, President and Chief Executive Officer, BayBio
- Gregory Theyel, East Bay Biomedical Manufacturing Network
10:30am > > > BIOGENEIUS STUDENTS VISIT CALIFORNIA PAVILION
10:45am > > > LAUNCH OF THE NORTH BAY LIFE SCIENCE ALLIANCE
- Chris Stewart, Chairman & CEO of the North Bay Life Science Alliance
1:30pm > > > GOVERNOR BROWN VISITS CALIFORNIA PAVILION
1:30pm > > > WE BUILT THIS CITY ON BIOTECH
What is that “secret sauce” that sets South San Francisco and San Diego apart from other clusters in US and worldwide?
- Introductions: Ron Leuty, BioTech Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
- Moderator: Assemblymember Kevin Mullin, California State Assembly, District 22
- Karyl Matsumoto, Mayor, City of South San Francisco
- Jim Wood, Mayor, City of Oceanside
- Gregory Theyel, Program Director, East Bay Biomedical Manufacturing Network
3:00pm > > > THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE OF HEALTHCARE IN THE DIGITAL AGE
California is at the forefront of the convergence of biotech and high-tech. Join us for a discussion on the empowering promise of truly digital medicine with the companies whose ingestible technologies provide important health-related data and feedback to patients and their caregivers and providers.
- Moderator: Todd Gillenwater, Interim President and CEO, California Healthcare Institute
- George Savage, Co-Founder and Chief Medical Officer, Proteus Digital Health
- William Kennedy, Associate Professor, Stanford University
THURSDAY, JUNE 26
10:00am > > > SETTING THE STAGE FOR SCIENCE
Home to many innovative life science companies, California shines when it comes to increasing STEM literacy in students, including the Amgen Biotech Experience, Bayer’s long collaboration with “Biotech Partners”, and STEM Programs supported by Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Moderator: Rory Devine, Reporter, NBC Channel 7 News, San Diego
- Chantel Mandel, Director of Public Policy and Communications, Bayer Healthcare
- Scott Heimlich, Senior Manager, Amgen
- Malinda Dixson, Science Teacher, Westview High School, San Diego, CA
- Katie Carlstrom, Community Outreach Manager, Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Susan Tu, Science Teacher, Rancho Del Rey Middle School, Chula Vista, CA
12:30 > > > STEMVOICE VIDEO COMPETITION
Meet the winner and first runner up of the first annual STEMVoice Video competition,a CSBI program sponsored by the Biocom Institute. The creator of the winning video, eighth grader, Simril Smith from Decatur, Georgia and first runner up, sixth grader, Maria Burritt from San Diego will be presented with their awards.
1:00pm > > > RAFFLE
*Schedule Subject to Change